Saturday, May 17, 2014
Paradigms
This term I’m taking LDS Marriage and Family (the religion one). I’ve learned a lot in the class, not only about marriage and family, but also about outlooks on life. We each perceive the world in a different way, and that is our reality. This is influenced by the way we’re raised, the examples we’ve seen in our lives, and our personalities in general. Sometimes we’re so used to seeing something one way, that when someone else has a different idea, it changes our paradigm. Zeitgeist, or the world’s view of things, also influences our own paradigm and perception of things. For example, my idea of Christmas traditions may be completely different than that of my roommate. So, when you get people together, sometimes those paradigms clash! That made me think about my own paradigms in my life. How do I look at things and what are my own paradigms? I made a goal to be more open-minded and accepting to other people’s perceptions on things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really think the goal that you made at the end of this post is awesome. I've learned through my marriage that everybody thinks differently no matter how much you have i common with that person. There is no purpose in arguing with people but it is important to listen and accept things without lashing out just because you may not agree with them. Elder Maxwell once said that "the gift of tongues is important but the gift that one has to bite his tongue may be even more important." We really do need to be open-minded about others feelings and opinions. Great insight!
ReplyDelete